When you’re a new mommy, starting to introduce solids to your baby is always a big deal. You get confused on what he should/shouldn’t eat, if he’s eating enough, if he’s not eating because he’s not liking the taste of his food and so on. You usually keep on asking around and checking Google for feeding guides & new baby recipes. So we’re here to give you this flavorful piece on everything you need to know.
For starters, always remember that you have to be patient while feeding your little one. Make funny faces, sing, do whatever it takes to encourage him to eat. That’s going to be a part of your mommy daily routine.
WHAT DO I NEED TO START?
In order to introduce solids to your baby, THAT’S ALL you’ll need:
- Baby Spoons (2 minimum). They should be soft-bite-rubber-covered spoons.
- Baby Food containers to store food. You can feed them right out of it too.
- Baby plates to serve food. (The kind with suction bottoms that adhere to the high chair tray can be handy)
- Steamer & Blender to steam and mash up food.
- Bottle warmer to heat up food (Optional). Or, you can just put the food container in a cup of boiling water for a while.
- Plastic Bibs
- Feeding chair
You can find all the above at our Exclusive Rahet Bally Card Partners with an Exclusive 10% OFF using The Rahet Bally Card.
Toys R Us, The Pink Elephant, Our Kids, KAMS and Premaman.
Order your Rahet Bally Card for only EGP 300/Year at www.rahetbally.com/ordernow
HOW TO START?
- Put your baby in the feeding chair. Put a small amount of food on the tip of a small spoon
- Tell your baby that this is food and use a special word to describe food. It will eventually ring a bell later on.
- Get it really close to his lips and he’ll open his mouth
- He won’t like it at first but after several days he’ll start understanding & liking it.
- Gradually give your baby more food. Let your baby be your decision maker in terms of how much to eat. As long as he keeps taking, feed him. As soon as he shuts his mouth, stop.
WHAT TO GIVE MY BABY FIRST?
- Start with single foods, not mixed. Because this makes it easier to pinpoint if he has an allergy.
- Allergic reaction appears within minutes/hours after eating the food.
- Start with Veggies such as carrots and zucchini.
- Wait 3 days before introducing a new food.
- After introducing veggies [Carrots, zucchini and potatoes] mash them up together and you’ve got a nutritious veggie mix!
- Afterwards, start introducing Fruits such as apples and pears.
WHAT DO I GIVE NEXT?
What to Introduce
Starting 6 months
|Cereal & Grains
[Hero Baby Cereal–wheat & milk or Rice]
ARE THERE ANY FORBIDDEN FOODS?
Foods to avoid giving under 1 year
- Cow’s Milk & Soy Milk
- Honey, Maple Syrup and Corn Syrup
- The following Fish: mackerel, shark, swordfish and tuna
- Raw Eggs
- Peanuts, Almonds, Hazelnuts and other nuts
Foods to avoid giving under 3 years [To Avoid Choking]
- Whole Grapes
- Small Pieces of hard fruits or other hard foods
- Olives with Seeds
HOW MUCH SHOULD MY BABY BE EATING ON AVERAGE?
|Baby’s Age||Number of Meals per Day||Average meal size|
|Around 6 months||2-3 meals/day||5-10 teaspoons|
|6-9 months||3 meals/day||2-4 tablespoons|
|9-12 months||3 meals/day
plus 2-3 snacks
We hope you find this as beneficial as we intend it to be and always consult with your doctor for support.
Stay tuned for our baby-licious recipes article soon!